7 May 2007

Doctor Who - not ENTIRELY accurate...

Don't get me wrong, I love Doctor Who (and Torchwood - who doesn't love Captain Jack?), but I've got a creeping suspicion it isn't doing much for the old PUS. If that's an alien concept to you, PUS stands for Public Understanding of Science. Although come to think of it, any movement that calls itself PUS isn't doing much for its own public image.

So last night, the Doctor comes up against some crazed Dr Strangelove-style scientist who manages to hack into his own genome, turning his body clock back 30 years. Then, the mad geneticist proceeds to munch up the local inhabitants to satisfy the needs of his mutating genes, which will otherwise transform him into a 20 foot tail-thrashing monster.

Oh, I know, I know, it's science fiction. But where do you think people are getting their ideas about modern day genetics? Precisely. Jurassic Park and Gattaca.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites